The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) is the state education agency for the District of Columbia. It administers certain federally-funded grant programs and issues certain licenses for child care facilities and providers. The Office of Administrative Hearings hears appeals of certain actions taken by OSSE. Those actions include: cases about child care providers and child care facilities; licensing and disciplinary actions against applicants or licensees of educational institutions; and payment disputes involving payments to vendors of special education and related services.
Administrative law judges issue a written decision for every case that is contested. The decisions below are examples of some issues raised in Office of Administrative Hearings’ cases involving this agency. You can review these decisions to get a sense of how prior cases were decided.
Please note that the facts of each case are different. These cases should be used for informational purposes only.
- Youth Engaged for Success, Inc. v. Office of the State Superintendent of Education, March 6, 2012 (affirming in substantial part agency audit report requiring repayment of grant funds)
- In re: The C.H.I.L.D. Center, Inc., June 17, 2010 (upholding summary suspension of child care center’s license for violating regulations governing filing unusual incident reports)
Administrative law judges base their decisions upon many sources of law, chief among them the District of Columbia laws (DC Official Code) and the District of Columbia regulations (DCMR). Depending on the type of case, federal law (US Code) and federal regulations (CFR) may also be relevant. Cases decided on the issues in other courts, especially the District of Columbia Court of Appeals, are relevant.
- General—Blank Submission Form
- General—Certificate of Service (in English and en Español)
- General—Customer Survey Form
- General—Electronic Filing Cover Sheet
- General—Subpoena Form (sample only)
- General—Notice of Appearance for Lawyers
- General—Request for a Different Hearing Date (in English and en Español)
- General—Request to Participate by Telephone (in English and en Español)
- General—Request for Audio Recording of Hearing